Welcome to My Motorcycle Adventure Blog

If you are new to the blog, please know that the most recent blog entry appears immediately following this itinerary introduction. In order to start from the beginning of the blog entries, you should scroll to the bottom of the screen and read from up from there. Also, please see the photo albums on the right side of the screen. The album titles match the titles of the blog posts.

From May 11-June 7, 2008, my father and I will be traveling across America by motorcycle. I have started this blog so family and friends can follow along. I've posted our itinerary because my wife and children want to know where I'm sleeping every night. Maybe some others of you want to know as well. If we're coming to a town near you, make sure to let us know.


May 11: High Point, NC to Spring Creek, NC
May 12: Spring Creek, NC to Nashville, TN
May 13: Nashville, TN to Searcy, AR
May 14: Searcy, AR to Shawnee, OK
May 15: Shawnee, OK to Tucumcari, NM
May 16: Tucumcari, NM (Rest Day)
May 17: Tucumcari, NM to Gallup, NM
May 18: Gallup, NM to Williams, AZ
May 19: Williams, AZ to Page, AZ
May 20: Page, AZ to Henderson, NV
May 21: Henderson, NV to Los Angeles, CA
May 22: Los Angeles, CA (Rest Day)
May 23: Los Angeles, CA to Orcutt, CA
May 24: Orcutt, CA to Salinas, CA
May 25: Salinas, CA to Mariposa, CA
May 26: Mariposa, CA to Winnemucca, NV
May 27: Winnemucca, NV to Salt Lake City, UT
May 28: Salt Lake City, UT (Rest Day)
May 29: Salt Lake City, UT to Jackson, WY
May 30: Jackson, WY to West Yellowstone, MT
May 31: West Yellowstone, MT to Cody, WY
June 1: Cody, WY to Rawlins, WY
June 2: Rawlins, WY to Grand Lake, CO
June 3: Grand Lake, CO to Colby, KS
June 4: Colby, KS to Blue Spring, MO
June 5:
Blue Springs, MO to Mount Vernon, IL
June 6: Mount Vernon, IL to Grayson, KY
June 7: Grayson, KY to High Point, NC

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Yosemite Blues

What a difference a day makes.

Within 24 hours of witnessing some of the most beautiful scenery imaginable on the Pacific Coast Highway, we struck out in Yosemite National Park. We managed to make alternate reservations early this morning for Mariposa, California, which is about 30 miles west of Yosemite on Highway 140. We got the last room in town. It was Founders Day in town, so it was actually quite bustling (not to mention it's Memorial Day weekend).

The rain held off until we were leaving Mariposa for Yosemite. It rained for the 45- minute drive to the park, it rained for the two hours we were there, and it rained even harder for the 45-minute drive back to Mariposa. Did I mention that it rained? Plus, it was only about 50 degrees by the time we returned to our hotel.

I am as disappointed today as I have been in a long time. I had been looking forward to Yosemite for months, probably as much as the Grand Canyon. And, since my new interest in photography, I had visions of Ansel Adams dancing in my head. Well, I only took 12 photographs all day (compare that to yesterday, when I took 115).

Aside from the rain, Yosemite was crowded beyond belief. We spent the vast majority of our time sitting bumper to bumper in traffic, crawling along in spurts. And remember, it was raining. Since my camera is not waterproof, I only took it out a couple of times. I put the results of today's visit in the album "Yosemite Blues."

At least we can say we got to Yosemite. However, in an odd way I kind of feel like the old conundrum, "If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, then did it make any noise?" I guess I'd revise that to read, "If a person visits a national park and doesn't get to see anything, then did that person really go?"

I made one photo of Little Red to prove I was there. By the way, I've named the Triumph "Little Red." A couple of days ago, an elderly woman at a rest area said to me, "I really like your little red motorcycle." So I let it stick.

Anyway, I don't know when I'll get back to Yosemite, but I'm determined to do so one day.

233.9 miles today. 3,635.0 total miles.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris abd Vance,
To bad about Yosemite. The weather sounded terrible. I think they will let Mom come home today. She had a big day yesterday. Amy,Jennifer and Susan came to see her.--Bob

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about the rain and your disappointment in not really seeing Yosemite. We will just have to go back there sometime (next time- all of us together!)We love you! Amy, Erin & Evan

Matt Theado said...

There's probably some kind of haiku about beautiful views obscured by rain . . . .

I wish the best for your mom, and good travels to you guys, too.

Matt

Anonymous said...

Hi there. It feels so good to be home from the hospital. Yes, I did miss your blogs and photos. So sorry about the bad day for Yosemite. Thankfully, all my tests were negative. The doctors can't explain the terrible stomach spasms that put me in the hospital. Thanks, honey, for your kind words. Love, Mom