Welcome to My Motorcycle Adventure Blog

If you are new to the blog, please know that the most recent blog entry appears immediately following this itinerary introduction. In order to start from the beginning of the blog entries, you should scroll to the bottom of the screen and read from up from there. Also, please see the photo albums on the right side of the screen. The album titles match the titles of the blog posts.

From May 11-June 7, 2008, my father and I will be traveling across America by motorcycle. I have started this blog so family and friends can follow along. I've posted our itinerary because my wife and children want to know where I'm sleeping every night. Maybe some others of you want to know as well. If we're coming to a town near you, make sure to let us know.


May 11: High Point, NC to Spring Creek, NC
May 12: Spring Creek, NC to Nashville, TN
May 13: Nashville, TN to Searcy, AR
May 14: Searcy, AR to Shawnee, OK
May 15: Shawnee, OK to Tucumcari, NM
May 16: Tucumcari, NM (Rest Day)
May 17: Tucumcari, NM to Gallup, NM
May 18: Gallup, NM to Williams, AZ
May 19: Williams, AZ to Page, AZ
May 20: Page, AZ to Henderson, NV
May 21: Henderson, NV to Los Angeles, CA
May 22: Los Angeles, CA (Rest Day)
May 23: Los Angeles, CA to Orcutt, CA
May 24: Orcutt, CA to Salinas, CA
May 25: Salinas, CA to Mariposa, CA
May 26: Mariposa, CA to Winnemucca, NV
May 27: Winnemucca, NV to Salt Lake City, UT
May 28: Salt Lake City, UT (Rest Day)
May 29: Salt Lake City, UT to Jackson, WY
May 30: Jackson, WY to West Yellowstone, MT
May 31: West Yellowstone, MT to Cody, WY
June 1: Cody, WY to Rawlins, WY
June 2: Rawlins, WY to Grand Lake, CO
June 3: Grand Lake, CO to Colby, KS
June 4: Colby, KS to Blue Spring, MO
June 5:
Blue Springs, MO to Mount Vernon, IL
June 6: Mount Vernon, IL to Grayson, KY
June 7: Grayson, KY to High Point, NC

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hot and Heavy

The Hot and Heavy photo album is up!

Word of the day. Heat.

We got an early start today in order to beat the heat. That bright idea lasted about 50 miles. By 8:00 a.m., the temperature was well into the 80s, and it broke 100 by noon. We spent much of our day drinking water and trying to cool ourselves. Ultimately, the temperature remained well over 105 for most of the afternoon, with an hour or so when it hit 111 degrees. Miserable. Late in the day, we also battled strong winds as well, which buffeted the bikes quite a bit and gave us headaches.

However, today’s ride was outstanding. Heat and wind could not dampen the beauty of the terrain we covered. We left Page this morning going north on Highway 89 toward Kanab, Utah. Just outside town we crossed Glen Canyon Dam, which was constructed beginning in 1956 and opened in 1963 (Page owes its existence to the dam’s construction). It is part of the Colorado River Storage Project for the Upper Colorado Region (Hoover Dam is part of the Lower Colorado Region). Look for the photos of the dam and Lake Powell behind it (the reservoir created by the dam).

Highway 89 North is designated as a Scenic Byway from Page to Kanab, as is Highway 9 from Kanab to Zion National Park. Both of these roads provided amazing scenery. We even saw a field of buffalo (even though they weren’t wild, they were still buffalo).

Zion National Park is a gem. It is not a large park as national standards go, but it packs quite a punch. I’d call it a photographer’s nightmare, a target-rich environment, if you will. Good thing for digital cameras. You’ll see plenty of shots of Zion in the album. I highly recommend this park if you ever get the chance.

Beyond Zion National Park, we rode through a small town named Virgin, Utah. I just wanted to point this out because I photographed a cool little book store there, the kind that I typically cannot pass by without buying a few additions to my first edition collection. Alas, only a photo this time.

When planning the route for our journey, I looked for an interesting way to get from Page, Arizona, to Henderson, Nevada. First of all, we wanted to avoid Las Vegas, so that was also part of the plan – get to Henderson without going through Las Vegas. Well, I found Highway 169 that heads south off of I-15 near Glendale, Nevada. The map I consulted months ago indicated something called the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Wow, I figured this would be a great alternative, one that offered spectacular and casual touring. Boy, was I wrong. I should have done more research. Turns out, the Lake Mead National Recreation Area was code for the desert. Over 50 miles of it. I’m not joking. It was 111 degrees outside, and we were in the desert. Dad said over the radio at one point that he felt like Moses wandering around out there. Thankfully, we had plenty of gas and plenty of water. Near the end of our time in the desert, we came across some very interesting red rocks. Check them out in the album.

Despite the heat and wind, today was a super day. We thought it would be rather uneventful when we started out, but pleasant surprises abounded. These kinds of days make riding a special treat.

Tomorrow we’re going to Hollywood!

303.9 miles today. 2,746.6 total miles.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris and Vance,
Your trip sounds great. I dont see how youi stand the heat. I thought you might be going. to Las Vegas and do a little gambling. Hope Vance is feeling much better. Hollywood should be very interesting---Bob

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris!

Glad to hear you all survived the heat and the desert. your trip is bringing back so many memories for me! I went to the Hoover Dam (impressive) on the same trip I took with the grandparents. I also remember the buffalo herds. Can't wait to hear and see what you think of Hollywood! American Idol ends tonight so maybe you'll catch a glimpse of all the action while you are there? Susan

Anonymous said...

There's no picture album there my love. The heat must have gotten to you. We're waiting...

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,
I am glad that you and Vance were able to appreciate your ride yesterday in spite of the terrific heat. Does it feel as hot as it sounds? Here at 111 degrees we would all be suffering terribly.
I certainly hope you will be able to send your pictures tonight. Your pix bring all your words to life! Stay safe. Love, Mom

Patti said...

Hi, Chris. I'm enjoying reading your blog and I LOVE the photos. Brings back many memories of places I've been... can't wait to read about Hollywood -- I never made it there myself. Hope Vance is feeling better. Give him our best too. As David says "keep it out of the ditches!" Love you.

Anonymous said...

Cool pics babe. Wierdo rock formations. Looking forward to the pics of Hollywood! Nothing is cheesy to me. Get a picture of any celebrity, even a B-list celeb if you have to. I love you!

Krista said...

Super cool pics. You can add photographer to your list of great skills. I'm with Amy on Hollywood - the cheesier, the better...get the sign, the palm trees, anything! Hopefully you'll see Posh and Becks! Or Brangelina! :) Love you! Stay safe!

Anonymous said...

So glad to get your "Hot and Heavy" pics. Fabulous work, sweetie. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

You'll have to visit 5124 De Longpre Ave & get a picture. It was Bukowski's home for over ten years during the peak of the "activity" he wrote about for the rest of his life.

It's just one block off of Sunset BLVD.

Also: It's less than five miles from the famed In-N-Out Burger, specifically the one on Camrose, which is near Larry Seller's house on Hollywood and Radford. (Larry Seller's stole Jeff Lebowski's car while it, supposedly, had a million dollars in the trunk). His father, Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes of "Branded." It was the bulk of the series, dude.

I hope you're having fun.

Oh and PS, I need to register for classes at some point. I can't imagine that you carry my registration PIN around in your pocket?

Anyway, no big deal. I have until August right?

sure,
Jack