Welcome to My Motorcycle Adventure Blog

If you are new to the blog, please know that the most recent blog entry appears immediately following this itinerary introduction. In order to start from the beginning of the blog entries, you should scroll to the bottom of the screen and read from up from there. Also, please see the photo albums on the right side of the screen. The album titles match the titles of the blog posts.

From May 11-June 7, 2008, my father and I will be traveling across America by motorcycle. I have started this blog so family and friends can follow along. I've posted our itinerary because my wife and children want to know where I'm sleeping every night. Maybe some others of you want to know as well. If we're coming to a town near you, make sure to let us know.


May 11: High Point, NC to Spring Creek, NC
May 12: Spring Creek, NC to Nashville, TN
May 13: Nashville, TN to Searcy, AR
May 14: Searcy, AR to Shawnee, OK
May 15: Shawnee, OK to Tucumcari, NM
May 16: Tucumcari, NM (Rest Day)
May 17: Tucumcari, NM to Gallup, NM
May 18: Gallup, NM to Williams, AZ
May 19: Williams, AZ to Page, AZ
May 20: Page, AZ to Henderson, NV
May 21: Henderson, NV to Los Angeles, CA
May 22: Los Angeles, CA (Rest Day)
May 23: Los Angeles, CA to Orcutt, CA
May 24: Orcutt, CA to Salinas, CA
May 25: Salinas, CA to Mariposa, CA
May 26: Mariposa, CA to Winnemucca, NV
May 27: Winnemucca, NV to Salt Lake City, UT
May 28: Salt Lake City, UT (Rest Day)
May 29: Salt Lake City, UT to Jackson, WY
May 30: Jackson, WY to West Yellowstone, MT
May 31: West Yellowstone, MT to Cody, WY
June 1: Cody, WY to Rawlins, WY
June 2: Rawlins, WY to Grand Lake, CO
June 3: Grand Lake, CO to Colby, KS
June 4: Colby, KS to Blue Spring, MO
June 5:
Blue Springs, MO to Mount Vernon, IL
June 6: Mount Vernon, IL to Grayson, KY
June 7: Grayson, KY to High Point, NC

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Four Days

Departure is in four days.

We are nervous, but we have been busy with our final preparations, which include packing as well as grading student essays and portfolios in order to wrap up the semester. It's a tough combination. Both will come down to the last minute, I'm sure.

Many folks know about our trip now and offer their advice and, sometimes, their admonitions about being safe and avoiding nasty weather. My nervousness is tempered, though, by the splendor of excitement. In a more-safety conscious way, I feel like the speaker at the end of James Dickey's poem "Cherrylog Road."

I tore off
Up Highway 106, continually
Drunk on the wind in my mouth,
Wringing the handlebar for speed,
Wild to be wreckage forever.

Of course, I don't want to be wreckage of any kind, but the sentiment still fits.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I don't like the "wreckage" word either. Hopefully, the rains won't spoil your takeoff on Sunday. Don't forget your rain gear! Nervously, Mom

Anonymous said...

PS. I love you.

Anonymous said...

If you have the right riding gear, weather should not really matter. Enjoy the ride!

Big Penguin said...

Best of luck on your journey--I'm jealous. I'll have to live vicariously through your postings. Enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

Rock on, Belly. Tear up the road. I'll see you in two weeks.

Anonymous said...

Prayers from Sharon UMC are with you.

Stay safe. Have fun. Make memories.

Juliet said...

The Laughlin's wish you safe travels! Ride on!

Anonymous said...

All the riders @ Wesley Memorial wish you two the best of rides!
Pray daily. Oh, and don't forget to raise the visor before spitting out bubble-gum
Jim

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear the trip is great so far! We love you! Have fun and be careful!
Amy, Erin and Evan

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris and Vance
Hope all is going ok today. We had a very windy day yesterday, but today is much better. Keep your eye on the road and I will be in touch later. Bob