Welcome to My Motorcycle Adventure Blog

If you are new to the blog, please know that the most recent blog entry appears immediately following this itinerary introduction. In order to start from the beginning of the blog entries, you should scroll to the bottom of the screen and read from up from there. Also, please see the photo albums on the right side of the screen. The album titles match the titles of the blog posts.

From May 11-June 7, 2008, my father and I will be traveling across America by motorcycle. I have started this blog so family and friends can follow along. I've posted our itinerary because my wife and children want to know where I'm sleeping every night. Maybe some others of you want to know as well. If we're coming to a town near you, make sure to let us know.


May 11: High Point, NC to Spring Creek, NC
May 12: Spring Creek, NC to Nashville, TN
May 13: Nashville, TN to Searcy, AR
May 14: Searcy, AR to Shawnee, OK
May 15: Shawnee, OK to Tucumcari, NM
May 16: Tucumcari, NM (Rest Day)
May 17: Tucumcari, NM to Gallup, NM
May 18: Gallup, NM to Williams, AZ
May 19: Williams, AZ to Page, AZ
May 20: Page, AZ to Henderson, NV
May 21: Henderson, NV to Los Angeles, CA
May 22: Los Angeles, CA (Rest Day)
May 23: Los Angeles, CA to Orcutt, CA
May 24: Orcutt, CA to Salinas, CA
May 25: Salinas, CA to Mariposa, CA
May 26: Mariposa, CA to Winnemucca, NV
May 27: Winnemucca, NV to Salt Lake City, UT
May 28: Salt Lake City, UT (Rest Day)
May 29: Salt Lake City, UT to Jackson, WY
May 30: Jackson, WY to West Yellowstone, MT
May 31: West Yellowstone, MT to Cody, WY
June 1: Cody, WY to Rawlins, WY
June 2: Rawlins, WY to Grand Lake, CO
June 3: Grand Lake, CO to Colby, KS
June 4: Colby, KS to Blue Spring, MO
June 5:
Blue Springs, MO to Mount Vernon, IL
June 6: Mount Vernon, IL to Grayson, KY
June 7: Grayson, KY to High Point, NC

Monday, May 12, 2008

Departure




We left High Point around 10:30 on Sunday morning, May 11, 2008. It was a bittersweet moment. I knew that I was lucky to have this opportunity to travel across America, but I wouldn’t be able to experience it with the people disappearing in my rear view mirror. I love my family very much, and I’m already counting down the days until I see them again.

The weather was difficulty today. We got rained on almost immediately, which served as a good test for our waterproof gear (the gear passed, mostly). Luckily, we managed to miss most of the severe weather or tornado warnings that affected some areas not far away. We arrived in Spring Creek around 2:45 in the afternoon. We spent our first night on the road at the most familiar of places, “The Farm.”

The Flats of Spring Creek

In the Davis family, The Farm refers to several hundred acres of the original Davis homestead located off Highway 209 in Madison County, North Carolina. The highway (a narrow two-lane blacktop) crosses Betsy’s Mountain and emerges around a final sharp right turn to reveal over two miles of valley straightaway. This area is known as The Flats of Spring Creek, which is the home place for both my father and my mother. Both attended Spring Creek School from kindergarten through 12th grade and were part of a graduating class of 12 students. The school was made of stone and was closed in the 1980s, but it is currently being restored to become a Community Center. It already houses a restaurant (named Grits), a sheriff’s substation, and in the future will contain a library.

The Davis and Ferguson families (my father’s and mother’s sides, respectively) have been on Spring Creek since at least the mid-1850s, according to the earliest land deeds that have been located. Of course, both families were farmers, tobacco especially. I did not enjoy coming to Spring Creek as a child. It was so isolated that we only received one radio and one television station. I spent a lot time outside hitting rocks with tobacco sticks.

I have included photos of both original homsteads for the Davis and Ferguson families. The white house (Davis) was built around 1855, while the other house (the Ferguson house, with the silo) was built around 1900. My mother’s brother commissioned a mural for the side of the silo. You will see a picture of the silo in a recently published book called “The Literary Trails of Western North Carolina.”

My father completed a total restoration of the original Davis home in the late 1990s. He and my stepmother spend many weekends there. Also, my uncle (father’s brother) has retired and moved back to Spring Creek (although he won’t stop working). The newer red barns in the photos are his, and he continues to operate a working farm, which he has named Davis Cove Farms.

Spring Creek is a special place, and I’m thankful now that it is part of my life.

202 miles today. 202 total miles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dudes !
Terrific shots of Spring Creek and Davis Cove.
Hope you don't ride so long that you're too tired to blog; 'cause we're selfishly wanting to hear all about the ride.
The Jet

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're allowing all of us to share in your trip across the country. Dad liked the pictures of the old house and silo. I hate I missed you in Spring Creek, but I do know Granny was very happy to see you, Chris. Travel safe!