Welcome to My Motorcycle Adventure Blog

If you are new to the blog, please know that the most recent blog entry appears immediately following this itinerary introduction. In order to start from the beginning of the blog entries, you should scroll to the bottom of the screen and read from up from there. Also, please see the photo albums on the right side of the screen. The album titles match the titles of the blog posts.

From May 11-June 7, 2008, my father and I will be traveling across America by motorcycle. I have started this blog so family and friends can follow along. I've posted our itinerary because my wife and children want to know where I'm sleeping every night. Maybe some others of you want to know as well. If we're coming to a town near you, make sure to let us know.


May 11: High Point, NC to Spring Creek, NC
May 12: Spring Creek, NC to Nashville, TN
May 13: Nashville, TN to Searcy, AR
May 14: Searcy, AR to Shawnee, OK
May 15: Shawnee, OK to Tucumcari, NM
May 16: Tucumcari, NM (Rest Day)
May 17: Tucumcari, NM to Gallup, NM
May 18: Gallup, NM to Williams, AZ
May 19: Williams, AZ to Page, AZ
May 20: Page, AZ to Henderson, NV
May 21: Henderson, NV to Los Angeles, CA
May 22: Los Angeles, CA (Rest Day)
May 23: Los Angeles, CA to Orcutt, CA
May 24: Orcutt, CA to Salinas, CA
May 25: Salinas, CA to Mariposa, CA
May 26: Mariposa, CA to Winnemucca, NV
May 27: Winnemucca, NV to Salt Lake City, UT
May 28: Salt Lake City, UT (Rest Day)
May 29: Salt Lake City, UT to Jackson, WY
May 30: Jackson, WY to West Yellowstone, MT
May 31: West Yellowstone, MT to Cody, WY
June 1: Cody, WY to Rawlins, WY
June 2: Rawlins, WY to Grand Lake, CO
June 3: Grand Lake, CO to Colby, KS
June 4: Colby, KS to Blue Spring, MO
June 5:
Blue Springs, MO to Mount Vernon, IL
June 6: Mount Vernon, IL to Grayson, KY
June 7: Grayson, KY to High Point, NC

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Music Higway

We traveled down the "Music Highway" between Nashville and Memphis today. Although we didn't stop to see any of the attractions (such as Loretta Lynn's 'Country Kitchen), we enjoyed this stretch of highway. The weather was once again hectic, though, to say the least. We left Nashville under a completely blue sky but were rained on within one hour. Later, as we approached Memphis, the sun came out again but didn't last.

I failed to get a photo of the Arkansas state line. Turns out the official state line between Tennessee and Arkansas is halfway across the Mississippi River. We crossed the bridge on I-40, and if it hadn't been so windy I would have just held up the camera as we passed underneath. So, no photos of the state line.

The highway from Nashville to Memphis and then into the Arkansas delta region unfolds in one long downhill trajectory. Highway 64 through Arkansas from beyond the state line to Searcy reveals nothing but horizon. I never imagined it was so flat. There were miles and miles of rice paddies (Arkansas grows more rice than any other state in the USA).

We included Searcy on our itinerary because some of my old friends from Florida State University graduate school live there. They took us out to dinner, but, of course I forgot my camera at the hotel. That's why no photos accompany this entry. My friends had just come from coaching their five-year old's t-ball game, so they weren't so upset about not having their picture appear here.

Tomorrow, we expect to be rained on all day. I'll make sure to take plenty of pictures to make up for none today. We plan to be on the road by 7:30 a.m.

304.3 miles today. 790.2 total miles.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dork! I can't believe you forgot the camera. (actually, yes I can.) I hope you and the Watsons had a great visit. I can't wait to hear all about it. Love you!

Rhonda said...

Sounds like lots of fun. I hope the weather improves. Riding in the rain cannot be much fun.

Prayers and good thoughts are with you today.

Anonymous said...

Chris,
Thank You for sharing this trip with us. I look forward to your daily entries.
Was really nice to see you at Grandma Lola's on Sunday. (P.S. I like your haircut)

Travel Safe,
Cousin Melissa

Juliet said...

This is great to "travel" with you! Safe travels with today's weather.

Matt Theado said...

Hi, Chris,

It's great to be keeping up with you on your trip. I'm not getting the photos, but that's probably a techno-glitch on my end -- your words are strong enough to convey the scene, though. Glad the rain gear's coming through!

Keep on truckin',

Matt

Anonymous said...

We're following your progress too! Stay safe!

Susan

PS- Jacob thinks the motorcycle is "super-cool" (his words) :)

cinder99 said...

Hey Chris,
I didn't realize how much it would help to be able to keep up with you on your daily Blog. We look forward to each new segment.
Hopefully, the weather will turn brighter very soon. Stay very safe! With love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Chris,

Think of me in Shawnee, Oklahoma, home of my first alma mater, Oklahoma Baptist University.

Boomer Sooner!

June

Anonymous said...

Chris,

Today is the first chance I've had to check your progress--What a treat! I especially enjoyed seeing pictures of The Flats because you'd told me stories about the home place. Hope the rain stops soon--that has to be putting a bit of a damper on things (pun intended!).

Wishing you traveling mercies,
Gayle