Welcome to My Motorcycle Adventure Blog

If you are new to the blog, please know that the most recent blog entry appears immediately following this itinerary introduction. In order to start from the beginning of the blog entries, you should scroll to the bottom of the screen and read from up from there. Also, please see the photo albums on the right side of the screen. The album titles match the titles of the blog posts.

From May 11-June 7, 2008, my father and I will be traveling across America by motorcycle. I have started this blog so family and friends can follow along. I've posted our itinerary because my wife and children want to know where I'm sleeping every night. Maybe some others of you want to know as well. If we're coming to a town near you, make sure to let us know.


May 11: High Point, NC to Spring Creek, NC
May 12: Spring Creek, NC to Nashville, TN
May 13: Nashville, TN to Searcy, AR
May 14: Searcy, AR to Shawnee, OK
May 15: Shawnee, OK to Tucumcari, NM
May 16: Tucumcari, NM (Rest Day)
May 17: Tucumcari, NM to Gallup, NM
May 18: Gallup, NM to Williams, AZ
May 19: Williams, AZ to Page, AZ
May 20: Page, AZ to Henderson, NV
May 21: Henderson, NV to Los Angeles, CA
May 22: Los Angeles, CA (Rest Day)
May 23: Los Angeles, CA to Orcutt, CA
May 24: Orcutt, CA to Salinas, CA
May 25: Salinas, CA to Mariposa, CA
May 26: Mariposa, CA to Winnemucca, NV
May 27: Winnemucca, NV to Salt Lake City, UT
May 28: Salt Lake City, UT (Rest Day)
May 29: Salt Lake City, UT to Jackson, WY
May 30: Jackson, WY to West Yellowstone, MT
May 31: West Yellowstone, MT to Cody, WY
June 1: Cody, WY to Rawlins, WY
June 2: Rawlins, WY to Grand Lake, CO
June 3: Grand Lake, CO to Colby, KS
June 4: Colby, KS to Blue Spring, MO
June 5:
Blue Springs, MO to Mount Vernon, IL
June 6: Mount Vernon, IL to Grayson, KY
June 7: Grayson, KY to High Point, NC

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Yellow Man

Instead of following the Yellow Brick Road across Kansas today, I followed the Yellow Man.

For those who have been looking at the daily photo albums, I’m sure it has been hard to miss Dad’s motorcycle jacket – it’s fluorescent yellow (high visibility, as the manufacturer calls it). You see, Dad’s motorcycle has cruise control while Little Red (the Triumph) does not. So, on the interstate highways, Dad always takes the lead and sets the cruise. I follow along behind. You can imagine how hard it is not to look continuously at the back of that jacket. After thousands of miles, this jacket has been burned into my gaze. Even when I close my eyes (I don’t do this while driving), I can see the Yellow Man.

Unfortunately, the state of Kansas did not have much to distract my attention from the Yellow Man today. I don’t want to offend anyone from Kansas, but there was just not much to see from I-70. I’m sure if we’d gotten off the beaten path a bit we’d have had more luck. Despite the lack of natural attractions or landmarks, it is quite apparent that a lot of famous people come from Kansas. We passed, in succession, a town named for Annie Oakley (Oakley, KS), the boyhood hometown for both Bob Dole and Arlen Specter (Russell, KS), the Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library and Museum (Abilene, KS), and The OZ Museum (Wamego, KS). We also passed an advertisement for the World’s Largest Prairie Dog. Unfortunately, we did not stop to see any of these attractions. I will apologize in advance for those folks out there hooked on the photos and not the text. We rode so hard, I did not take a single photo of the Kansas landscape. There is no album today. I'm also not sure how many photos I'll be taking the next couple of days, either. We are in bee-line mode for home.

The highlight of the day was found at a Rest Area near Topeka. While we had a snack and a drink of water beside the motorcycles, I took a stroll in the shade. Something fluttered away from me as soon as I got in the grass. A baby bird had fallen from the tree under which I sought shade. The bird was too big for a nest, yet too small to fly. So he merely sat there in the grass, his parents worrying over him in the tree above. After a couple photos, we were again on our way. Here is our little friend. I have no idea what kind of bird he is. Maybe some of you can help me identify him?
We did not have hotel reservations when we left this morning. Our goal was to reach Lawrence, Kansas, but we managed to get well beyond it. We finally stopped riding about 3:45 p.m. in Blue Springs, Missouri, which is a suburb of Kansas City about 10 miles from the Missouri state line. We treated ourselves to Hampton Inn.

I have managed to miss the last two state signs (Kansas and Missouri). It was way to stormy to stop as we crossed into Kansas (small hail), and I-70 was way to crowded today as we crossed into Missouri (five lanes of traffic, we were in the middle one). So now I’ve missed only three.
The weather was hot and windy today. Mostly sunny. I think we’ve been smart to head home a day earlier. Despite the storm yesterday, it appears that we will be a day ahead of the next round of bad weather that is heading east. Let’s hope it stays that way.

Tomorrow we have reservations in Mount Vernon, Illinois.

392.7 miles today. 6,243.4 total miles.

1 comment:

cinder99 said...

How tired you must be after riding for almost 400 miles. I am happy that the weather was better today.
We are having a heat wave here in the mountains of WNC. High today was 91 degrees.
It sounds like Amy really needs you to get on home a day early.
Those bugs are certainly bugging her.
Bob and I are both doing well.
We will be very happy when we know that you both are home safe and sound. What an experience though -- one of a lifetime!
Love you,
Mom